Saturday, August 18, 2007

Earthquake Relief

Here at FRC Lima, our earthquake relief plan is kicking into high gear.

This week we will visit Chincha, a city of 120,000 people, mainly African-Peruvians, and one of the areas most heavily devastated by Wednesday's killer earthquake. We will be joined on our trip by Luisa Cuculiza, a member of the Congress of the Republic of Peru. We will be delivering food, clothing, medicine, and other supplies to the earthquake survivors in Chincha, almost all of whom now are homeless and with nothing more than the clothes on their back. We also will be helping to set up a type of soup kitchen which will be able to feed 1,000 people a day until they are able to get back on their feet. As well, we will be surveying the damage and preparing a more long-term plan of assistance for our suffering brothers and sisters in Chincha. About 80% of the homes in Chincha were reduced to rubble by the earthquake, so a reconstruction plan also is necessary. We are thinking of FRC Lima mission trips in the near future to help rebuild homes for those who are now homeless in Chincha after the 8.0 earthquake.

All of this requires your help, whether you are in Lima, or in Florida, or wherever you are in this world. We need your prayers and your financial support right now in order to reach out to our suffering brothers and sisters in Chincha. This is an enormous opportunity to show 120,000 Chinchanos the love of Jesus Christ in a very tangible way. We must do it. We need your help.

Remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 25:35-40 (TNIV), "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me ... whatever you did for one of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

We are doing all of this for our brothers and sisters in Chincha, and therefore we're doing it all for Jesus Christ, too. Please join us and support us in this life-saving work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home