Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

9/11 is a somber anniversary. Around 3,000 people died on September 11, 2001, when 19 terrorists crashed two planes into the World Trade Center in New York, and also into the Pentagon in Washington, and also into a field in Pennsylvania. But it's important to remember that not just Americans died on 9/11. For example, 6 Peruvians died at the World Trade Center on 9/11.

We are living in fearful, stressful times, and today's anniversary is a graphic reminder of that. The headlines are filled with stories of war, disaster, and more terrorism. The Middle East is a mess. It brings home the words of Jesus in Matthew 24 about signs of the end times.

Many people look at the news today, and remember the news of 9/11/01, and are living lives full of fear. During these times, and especially on this anniversary of 9/11, it's important to remember the lyrics of David in Psalm 23:4 (TNIV) when he says, "Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Later on, in Psalm 27:1 (TNIV), David sings, "The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?" Finally, David also sings in Psalm 56:11 (TNIV), "In God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere human beings do to me?"

If you are walking through a dark valley today, particularly as you reflect on the nightmarish events of 9/11/01, then embrace the lyrics of David. Know that God is with you and will comfort you. Know that God is your light and your salvation. Know that God is your stronghold. Surrender your fears to Him. He can handle it. God has big shoulders, and He will carry you all the way through your darkest valley.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home